Lilly

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

C-Section






this is my first post via web for a while lol

so i thursday (6-8-09) i went up to get my blood results from the FMAU and when the ob spoke to me he said he wanted to deliver the baby. he then asked "are you happy to book in the c-section for tomorrow?" that would have to be the weirdest question i have ever been asked lol. i thought wow tomorrow? tomorrow? i signed the consent, had an injection of steroids to help bubs lungs cos she was still considered premi being just on 37 weeks. went home to have dinner, get my bag, call parents etc (super fast spring clean and unpack of boxes ;-) )
adrian and i thought itd be a great idea to go out to dinner since we didnt know when we would next get a chance to have dinner by ourselves. went to vaby's and i stupidly order Portuguese chicken. that gave me heart burn for the next 12 hours until i gave birth! then we went up to the hospital. i kept thinking i must look awesome wheeling my own bag in to the maternity wing and a fast pace walk and people thought i was in labour hehehe
i was admitted, i was originally told id be given a sleeping pill to help me sleep and id have the next steroid injection at 12am so i thought id stay up until then and then get the sleeping pill after which id be nil by mouth. at 12am i asked when is the injection? and they said i couldnt have it until 3.30, so i didnt have my crappy tamazepam and was awake all night
we were told that the cs would happen between 8am - 1pm so adrian didnt plan to get up to the ward until 8am. at 7.45 a porter came in to transfer me down to the or, i cried the whole way down thinking they shouldnt have taken me down without him. but the porter had picked me up early by accident and took me back i got back to my room just as adrian was getting there.
at 9 they came to get me again, i was wheeled into the anti-room where the anesthetist walked me through having an spinal-block. i was totally terrified having a spinal-block due to having a lumbar puncture the previous year that scared the crap out of me i needed double sedation and threatened to jump of the table half way through.
at 9.30ish they wheeled me into the or i was transfered to the table and asked to sit on the edge put my feet on a stool, bend over into my knees into a pillow and had one anesthetist cuddle me to keep me still, while i pushed my back up against the other administering the spinal-block. she gave me about 6 injections of local antiseptic, then injected the needle which gave a the horrible twinge in your back, then the actual drug, which you could feel instantly spread through to your feet. by the time i turned around and began lying back my feet were already heavy and i was having trouble moving them, they inserted the catheter (yik, thankfully the numbness had taken effect in that area ;-) )
the doctors then did ice test up my legs and over my torso to see where the drug had worked, it took longer to work on my left torso section once it had worked, they put up the screen, taped my hands down and brought adrian in. they kept telling me "you cant help with the operation" like really? do people attempt that?
the nurses told me a few times if i was going to be sick to let them know asap so they could push drugs to counter act, then they brought me over a basin, i was thinking "im not going to be sick, i dont need that" the thought was barely formed when i threw up, they had already pushed the drugs they knew before i did i was going to be sick from my falling bp and pale face. i was totally freaking out because of how thirsty i was i hadnt drank anything since the night before and i was so thirsty it sent me crazy i was asking for water and thought i would die before i was aloud to drink, being sick actually took my mind off it until after the op. the nurses went off at me for eating portuguese chicken the night before after i was sick.
i thought theyd let me know they were starting. i herd this large spray of water it sounded like a fountin being turned on, adrian told me its my waters breaking, then they start tugging, they confirm she is a girl, adrian sees a foot, more tugging. than i herd Lilly's cry out. she is taken to her ped and midwife adrian goes to cut the cord, i ask has she got brown hair, the only mystery i had left, she hasnt cried again, they work on her to get her to breath which feels like forever. adrain is ushered over back to his chair more reviving a teeny cry more reviving, then crying and they wheel her over, i cant really see her at all. they rush her up to special care nursery and put her into a humidicrib, she has low blood sugar levels and is having trouble breathing.
they sow me up, im taken to recovery, then up to my room, while adrian is with our little girl. i fall asleep. a porta comes and gets me half an hour later and im wheeled down to scn an hour after she is born. she has a drip in and she is sucking on her cannula thats bugger than her hand. im so upset that she is hungry and im not aloud to feed her yet. we are aloud to touch her through the humidi crib. at 10pm 12 hours after she is born im taken back down, and im aloud to hold her for the first time and feed her :D

1 comment:

wendishness said...

Wowser!!! That must've felt like a lifetime to see her and finally hold her, I'm glad that she arrived safely.